Noroton Yacht Club was founded in 1928 by Paul Smart (later a World and Olympic champion in Stars), who organized the Club and oversaw the construction of its first Clubhouse, guiding the Club’s growth as Commodore for its first 13 years. 


Established as a one-design sailing club with a fleet of Stars, the Club’s fleets have included Ravens, then Lightnings, eventually giving way to the Ensign, Tempest, and Soling classes, followed by J24s and, in the 1980s, the rapid growth of the Sonar class. The addition of club-owned Ideal 18s has allowed busy families the chance to get out on the water without owning a boat.


With Wee Scots in the early years, Noroton YC has maintained an emphasis on family sailing, formally establishing the Junior Sailing Program in 1949. Bill Cox, one of the most  successful racing skippers of his generation, was the program’s director, formulating a detailed plan that led to Noroton’s Junior Sailing program becoming a standard of excellence  for competitive junior sailors.


From a design sketched by Paul Smart, the Club’s first clubhouse, featuring a loft for drying sails under steeply peaked roof, stood for nearly 90 years. In 2018, after the devastation  of Hurricane Sandy, a beautiful new clubhouse was built, featuring a breezeway mirroring that of the building it replaced. Situated in one of the most scenic spots on the Connecticut shore, Noroton Yacht Club continues to be a small, family-oriented club steeped in volunteerism and competitive sailing.


Secondary address